Mom’s Healthy Granola
This is one of my favorite comfort foods my mom used to make. It’s delicious mixed in yogurt, with your favorite type of milk, or just as a stand alone trail mix. I like to keep this on hand for a healthy, snacking alternative throughout the day or when I have a craving for something sweet and crunchy. Give it a try, I know you’ll love it!
- 1 cup organic rye flakes
- 1 cup organic oat flakes
- 1 cup organic wheat flakes
- 1 cup raw, sliced, unsalted almonds
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds & 1⁄4 Chia seeds
- any other unsalted nuts of choice
- 1⁄2 cup no sugar added dried fruit
- Coating Mixture Ingredients: 1⁄2 tsp. cinnamon 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup organic honey or Stevia
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a large bowl mix all dry ingredients until evenly distributed. Set aside.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, place all coating mixture ingredients. Gently warm contents and stir until honey is dissolved.
Pour liquid coating mixture over dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Using a large wooden spoon or clean bare hands, mix well until all ingredients are coated.
Spread granola onto a large cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
Baking time is 40 minutes, but you can’t walk away from the oven. You need to stir the granola every so often with a wooden spoon so everything gets nicely toasted.
Transfer baked granola to a cooking rack and sprinkle with raisins and cranberries (or other no sugar added dried fruit). Let cool completely. When cool, transfer to an airtight container. Keeps in your cereal cupboard for one week. You can freeze it too.